Saturday, January 18, 2014

A Blogger Whines About Normal January Weather In Vermont

An Arctic cold front is going to sweep through the northeastern United States Sunday, and it will turn icy cold for at least a week.
A subzero morning two years ago creates this
steamy scene on Lake Champlain near
Burlington, Vermont two winters ago.  

Here in Vermont, we can expect high temperatures in the single numbers most days next week, and most places will be below zero each night. Some nights might get into the teens below zero.

This kind of weather pretty much happens every winter, and this won't even be the strongest cold snap of the winter so far. This is what Vermonters expect every January.

Still, I'm whining, which doesn't do my Vermonter credentials proud, let me tell ya. But I do get whiny when it's near or below zero, I have to say. Sure, I bundle up a bit when I go outside and it's not so bad.

But for some reason I get cold fast when I'm outside, and I don't enjoy the outdoors nearly as much when it's this cold. I feel like I'm being held hostage in the house, even though I'm well aware there's kind of no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothes.

Plus the furnace runs incessantly and I can just see the dollar bills floating away out the chimney.

I even get to the point during these cold spells where I ask myself why the hell do I live in this Arctic wasteland called Vermont.

Then, sooner than you think, spring comes and everything explodes in green, colorful flowers, warm sunshine and soothing rain, and I say, "Oh, that's why I live here."

What's your opinion about these subzero winter cold waves we always get?

No comments:

Post a Comment