Saturday, September 6, 2014

Is That Hot Spell We Had In The Northeast The Last One Of The Summer?

It was hot and humid late Friday afternoon
at my home in northern Vermont, but
some of my trees are already saying "autumn"  
True confessions time:

I'm an avid gardener, to the point that, when I have time, I put on a headlamp and go outside to play in the dirt. Especially if it's a gorgeous night.

Last night around my house in St. Albans, Vermont, it was magical.

Well past dark, it stayed very warm, close to 80 degrees. However,  a steady, strong south wind kept it comfortable.

A bright, nearly full moon shone, lighting up a few ragged, fast moving clouds in the sky.

It's September, so most of the bugs are gone, and the wind kept the last few stragglers away. I worked in the gardens for a few hours, then, around 10 p.m, felt so content, I lay down on the grass and fell asleep for more than an hour.

Faint flickering light woke me up. While I was asleep, thunderstorms formed just to my north and east, and then raced into nearby southern Quebec. The flickering I detected was lightning, just southeast of Montreal, about 60 miles away.

I say all this to,  yes, demonstrate what a batshit crazy weather geek I am, and also to say, last night might have been a crowning last hurrah, and a goodbye to summer.

Each of the first five days of September in Burlington, reached into the 80s, which is quite a stretch of summer weather for this late in the season. The end of summer is nigh, though.

That lightning I saw was the first sign a cold front was approaching. This Saturday morning it's cloudy and threatening, but the summer warmth and humidity remains. But not for long.

This cold front will usher in somewhat autumnal weather.  Some of the storms will drop briefly heavy rain across Vermont.

More importantly, there's the risk of severe storms, maybe even a supercell, in southern and eastern New England later today. The area most likely to see a few severe storms is a zone from Connecticut, through western and central Massachusetts, and on up into most of New Hampshire and Maine.

There's even the slight chance that area could see a brief tornado.

Sunday will be nice, but again, slightly autumnal in the Northeast. And we will have bouts of pleasantly warm weather well into the autumn, as we almost always do.

But that beautiful summer night I embraced last night, and the several day stretch of  rather hot, humid weather we had for the past few days probably won't be repeated again in New England.

At least until next summer.

No comments:

Post a Comment